Our Chapters 1938-2020
Canatara . 1939 -2004
Honourable Alexander Vidal.. 1935-2000
Honourable Bryan Cathcart (Corunna).. 1982-2012
Honourable H.J. Hanna…. 1941-1978
Honourable Malcolm Cameron.. 1954
Honourable Norman Rogers….1940-2010
Jessie Skippon 1992-2000
Lieutenant J.D. Wright…. 1939-2001
Pro Patria. 1915- 2008
St. Clair..1915- 2008
Sir John Colborne.. 1929-1991
Junior Chapters.. 1967-1978
**Current Chapters are listed in blue.
IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal Chapter
On April 18, 1938 four Sarnia Chapters—St. Clair, Pro Patria, Sir John Colborne and Honourable Alexander Vidal received a Charter to form the Municipal Chapter of Sarnia. The Motto of the new Chapter was and is “Laborare Fideliter”—to Labour Loyally. Sarnia Municipal Chapter became a reality.
Today, there are four chapters that belong to IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal. They are Elizabeth II, Errol Egremont, Honourable Malcolm Cameron and Margaret Stokes (Petrolia).
1900 – first IODE chapter is formed to assist Boer War soldiers.
1915 – Pro Patria Chapter and St. Clair Chapter are formed in Sarnia
1920- IODE Ontario is formed in Hamilton
1929 – Sir John Colborne Chapter receives its charter in Sarnia
1935- Honourable Alexander Vidal Chapter is established in Sarnia
1938 - April 18, four Sarnia Chapters—St. Clair, Pro Patria, Sir John Colborne and Honourable Alexander Vidal received a Charter for the formation of the Municipal Chapter of Sarnia. The Motto of the new Chapter was and is “Laborare Fideliter” to Labour Loyally. Sarnia Municipal Chapter became a reality.
1939- Lieutenant J.D.Wright Chapter and Canatara Chapter hold their first meetings.
1939- The first Municipal education awards (3) totaling $40 was presented and divided between three students, $10, $10, and $20.
1939 - Mrs. Hanna’s home at 233 N. Brock Street became the IODE centre for war work. Funds were raised to assist National IODE with the purchase of a bomber. War stamps were purchased by the ladies; magazines and books were went to military camps; leather jackets were purchased for men at sea; and, blankets were sent to the children’s clearing centre in Toronto. To aid the work, two sewing machines were purchased for Hanna House.
1941 - Superfluity Shop was set up at Hanna House with the formation of the Hanna Chapter. The first profit of $125 was spent with $50 sent to the Lord Mayor’s fund, London; $50 to Merchant Navy, and $25 for a job-lot of clothing for people in bombed out areas of England. Flags were sold and the money raised to purchase turtle-neck sweaters for sailors on mine sweepers and the merchant navy. Clothing continued to be sent for British children. Money was sent to Russian medical relief, and 30 quilts sent to Polish relief. Cigarettes were sent to Sarnia and area boys in England. $300 was donated towards furnishing CWAC recreation room at Ipperwash. Money was sent to National Prisoners of War Fund and books to camp libraries. In one four-month period, 1,326 pieces of knitting and sewing were provided for war relief from the Sarnia area.
1944 - War brides, in the area, were welcomed by IODE with a tea organized in their honour.
1945 - Work began at homes for the aged; Christmas gifts given to C.A.S. wards.
1946- The Hanna House, the IODE work centre, was closed and the 8th Annual Municpal meeting was held at St. George’s Parish Hall. Meetings were held at the Red Cross Room.
1947- Donations were made towards the purchase of the ermine wrap which IODE sent to Princess Elizabeth as a wedding gift by IODE across Canada; Polish and Ukrainian girls taking English language classes were given a Christmas party.
1949- IODE Canada’s 50th Anniversary was celebrated at St. George’s Church. We continued supporting Canadian Consumer’s Association, the local hospitals, the V.O.N., C.A.S., C.N.I.B., and Northern Ontario schools. Food parcels were still being sent to England.
1949- IODE expanded into Petrolia when the Margaret Stokes Chapter was formed.
1950 - On February 10,1950 the first party for new Canadians was held at the Sarnia Golf and Curling Club with 64 attending. This year, a concert was given by Gracie Field at the Sarnia Arena, sponsored by Hanna Chapter.
1950- Froome-Talfourd Chapter in Corunna is formed. (Disbanded in 1972)
1952- The Elizabeth II Chapter in Sarnia received its charter.
1954- IODE expands in the Sarnia Area with the formation of the Honourable Malcolm Cameron Chapter.
1956 - The Sarnia Municipal Chapter established its Education Loan Fund through donations from primary chapters. Within two years we provided assistance for 7 students. By 1964 some 57 students had been assisted with loans totalling $27,580.
1957- Municipal began visiting the homes of the new Canadians and presented IODE greeting cards, and by 1957 a total of 659 cards had been presented and approximately 160 homes visited. In 1957 Judge Carscallen was approached to inquire if IODE ladies could be present at Citizenship Court.
1958- The IODE Economy Store opened across from Imperial Oil’s main office on Christina Street. The proceeds, of $2,000 for the first six months, were distributed equally among the participating Chapters. Since then the store operated on Russell Street, and in January 1984 moved to 222 Maxwell St., and finally to 110 East Street wher it closed in 2005.
1963- Municipal celebrated its 25th birthday by organizing an Art Exhibition for secondary school students from Sarnia and Petrolia. A prize of $300 was awarded.
1964-1965- Pauline McGibbon became the National President of IODE Canada.
1964- IODE Sarnia Municipal hosted the SW Area Conference at the Canterbury Hotel.
1967 - Canada’s Centennial was celebrated with an exhibition of the Holland-Paisley pictures at the Sarnia Library Art Gallery. Mrs. W.E. Richards, Miss Sadie Knowles and Miss Louise Polley were honoured with the presentation of Canadian Centennial medals.
1967-1978 Three Junior Chapters, Alexander Mackenzie, Chipican and Griffin Chapters were the high points of the 60’s formed by high school students.
1968 - The Welfare Drug Program for the needy began; the Lambton College Bursary was established in 1968 and the first Special Project, a donation of $1,000 to the Y.M.-Y.W.C.A. for the pool project . Eskimo carvings were presented to the Sarnia Library Art Gallery and an International Fair was sponsored at Northern Collegiate. Diapers were made for the Rock-a-dry-baby competition.
1975- Municipal decided to locate a Rose Garden of 100 bushes at Gowland Manor. This was the culmination of 5 years of planning during which the members sold roses, gave roses as gifts, planted roses and dreamed of roses.
The Queen’s Silver Jubilee was celebrated at the Rose Garden with Lieutenant Governor, the Honourable Pauline McGibbon as guest of honour, and at which two education awards were announced—the Pauline M. McGibbon Award and the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Award.
1970’s projects included:
· Neurological equipment provided for the Centre for Children and Youth
· Sarnia Library Art Gallery received a Haida Mask and carving from Gaspe from IODE
· New piano is provided for Crippled Children’s Centre
· Full-sized tractor and plough presented to Wawanosh Enterprises
· Heritage Panels presented to 35 elementary schools;
· Equipment and furnishings provided for the Women’s Interval Home
Two rinks from Sarnia took part in the IODE Curling Bonspiel, held in Hamilton placing first and second.
1977- With provincial changes and OSAP, IODE Sarnia Municipal Education loans were no longer needed. Funds remaining were used to establish the Education Scholarship and Award Fund.
1978- Sarnia Municipal IODE received the first annual award given to a business or organization making a noticeable contribution towards education. The IODE Education award fund was established and the first recipient of $500 was Richard Dunbar who planned to attend Guelph Agriculture College.
1978- Honourable H.J. Hanna Chapter disbanded. The Sarnia Public Library and Art Gallery was presented with an authentic Haida Totem pole and plaque as a permanent reminder of the service given by the Chapter. The Hanna Chapter gavel and standards remain in St. George’s Anglican Parish House.
1979- A new chapter, Errol Egremont, of the Camlachie area, was welcomed into IODE.
1981- Support of children in need of dental work was established through the Lambton Health Unit.
1982 - IODE was once again active in Corunna with the formation of the Honourable Bryan L. Cathcart Chapter.
1984- The IODE Economy store moves to 222 Maxwell Street.
1980’s IODE Sarnia Municipal Projects:
· Ontario Special Olympics are held in Sarnia. Municipal IODE presented each participant with a mug bearing the logo of the Olympics on one side and the our logo on the other.
· Two Emergency Response Systems were presented to Sarnia General Hospital
· The East Turret Reading Room of the Petrolia Public Library was restored
· A portable dental chair and a fibre optic dental light presented to the Lambton Health Unit
· Six blood pressure cuffs and seven stethoscopes are presented to the Victorian Order of Nurses
· The most unusual presentation was a blacksmith’s forge to Petrolia Discovery Oil Museum.
1988 – 50th Anniversary of Sarnia Municipal IODE is celebrated by donating $2500 to City of Sarnia to purchase flagpoles and flags at Canatara Gates, and $2500 to CEE hospital to furnish the acute care lounge.
1989 - Municipal awarded twelve scholarships and eleven bursaries totaling $11,000.00 plus a bursary to Lambton College of $145.00.
1989- Sarnia Municipal IODE sponsored a “Focus on National Citizenship Week” writing contest with the schools board. 10 winners across Sarnia-Lambton were announced.
Past Municipal Presidents, 1938 - 2020
Ms. M. Macklin Mrs. D. McGibbon
Mrs. E.K. Parker Mrs. W.B. Rutherford
Mrs. H.T. Ross Jr. Mrs. C. Crockard
Mrs. C.A. Lorriman Mrs. E.J. Jacques
Miss A. Depew Mrs. R.F. Skippon
Mrs. W. Rogers Mrs. W. Archer
Mrs. A. Fowler Mrs. H.W. Addington
Mrs. N. Shipley Mrs. J.S. Blunt
Mrs. G.H. Bowes Mrs. A.C. Giffin
Mrs. J.H. Watt Mrs. L. Newell
Mrs. J.H. Douglas Mrs. F.E. Punnett
Mrs. B. Clarke Mrs. H.J. Bartlett
Mrs. R.L. Sinclair Mrs. D. Ulrick
Mrs. T. Pimento Mrs. P. Fabian
Mrs. D. Smith Mrs. J. Windover
Mrs. J. Elviage Mrs. J. Stevenson
Mrs. C. Curry Mrs. G. Moore
Mrs. H. Danby Mrs. L. Gryner
Mrs. E. Evans Mrs. Helen Danby
1990’s IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal Projects:
The contributions in the area of services are overwhelming. Assistance to institutions and hospitals included:
· Wheel chairs, patient simulator and a recliner to Sarnia General
· Palliative care bed, recliner chair, therapy equipment, supplies, lifeline unit, refurbishing of patients’ lounge in palliative care unit, quiet room furnished and baptismal gown supplied to St. Joseph’s
· Chemotherapy pumps, T.V., computer software, fax machines, refrigerator, paper shredder, glucometers etc.
· Physiotherapy equipment and bean bag chairs to Maple Street Children’s home for the mentally and physically handicapped in Petrolia
· Phonic ear given to Lambton Centre for children and youth
· Ice edger for Bosanquet Township Arena
Assistance was also given to the following: House on the Side of the Road, Women’s Interval Home, Huron House Boys’ Home, Community Girls’ Home, CNIB, Rebound, soup kitchen and food bank at the Inn of the Good Shepherd, St. John’s Ambulance, area nursing homes, Salvation Army, meals on wheels, Bethany House, Miss Helen’s Day Care at Adult Learning Centre, a computer doll for secondary school, Manitoba relief, display stand for V.O.N.
Lunch was provided for CNIB craft classes, and hot chocolate served at Christmas in the Park (Petrolia) etc.
Lambton Crisis Pregnancy Centre was provided with baby items.
Members tended water stations for Terry Fox Run, indoor picnics held for seniors, benches given for Corunna Athletic Park and a portable dental unit was donated to Dr. Shingles.
1991- The IODE Sarnia Municipal hosted the IODE Provincial Area Conference and luncheon.
1995- the effects of lower interest were being felt on the investments for these funds. Chapters were asked to consider making donations to offset this. At this time the scholarships were by $100.00 each and on fewer scholarship was given. In 1999 Municipal awarded six scholarships and ten bursaries totaling $6,700.00 plus a bursary to Lambton College of $185.00.
1995- The Gates at Canatara Park Entrance were rededicated to IODE Sarnia Municipal.
Special education areas receiving support from IODE locally are Lambton Music Festival, Gallery –in-the –Grove, International Symphony, Sarnia Historical Society, Fran Foster Society, Kids on the Block, YMCA Memorial Fund, CNIB Talking Books, and Lambton Youth Choir who also received performance T-shirts for their trip to Disney World in Florida.
Assistance was also given to Frontier College and “Born to Read” books by Ben Wicks were presented to the Obstetrical Department at St. Joseph’s Hospital.
1999- IODE Sarnia Municipal had 5 adopted schools in Northern Ontario and 6 in Labrador. The students have received books, games, magazines subscriptions, supplies, a Canadian flag, a microscope, records, computer discs, treats, personal hygiene bags, skis, skates, tape recorder, calculators, ping pong table, finger puppets, tree growing kits for 107 students, a bushel of apples, athletic outfits for team sports from a local high school, telescope and camera etc.
1998-1999 Patti Fabian from Hon. Norman Rogers Chapter is the IODE Ontario President.
1999- Hon. Norman Rogers and Hon. Bryan L. Cathcart Chapters have websites.
2000 Each Chapter has its own projects for fundraising: penny sale, bridge and luncheon, antique show, luncheon and fashion shows, marathon bridge, dessert and fashion show, theatre and bus trips, garage sale, cook out, Dutch auctions, apple pie sales and butter tart sales.
2000- The millenium began with 12 Chapters and a 304 members. Sadly, Municipal received the Charters from two industrious and dedicated Chapters.
· Jessie Skippon—1993
· Alexander Vidal—1935
2000 - The Municipal Chapter of Sarnia, IODE changed its name to the Municipal Chapter of Sarnia-Lambton, IODE.
2000 - IODE Sarnia Municipal Projects:
· Centennial Awards totalled $12 000. A special $5,000 scholarship was given to a 2nd Year student at Lambton College
· $5,000 for equipment at Neo-Natal Unit at St. Joseph’s Hospital
· $2,000 to Police Rescue Officers to ensure that students have an avenue if suffering from abuse
· Gates at Canatara Park, originally donated by Pro Patria at the city entrance, were rededicated as a heritage site
· Trees planted throughout city and county
· Centennial Park created a garden with “IODE 100th”
2001 - Lt. J.D. Wright sadly disbanded its chapter 1939 - 2001
2002 - Hon. Bryan L. Cathcart published a cookbook to celebrate its 40th anniversary.
2002 - the Citizenship Court in Windsor recognized all the work of our Chapters.
· Golden Jubilee Medals—Dr. Lucy Duncan, Madeline Mahon, Joan Link, Patti Fabian and Betty Menzies
2004 - Canatara Chapter (1939 – 2004) turned in its charter to Municipal.
The Economy Store venture was replaced by two successful annual events:
· 2006 - Spring time Geranium Sales
· 2007 - Our 1st Christmas House tour
2006- “For Women Only” conference is hosted by IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal. A Provincial Membership award for Municipal Chapters was earned during this time.
IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal’s work in citizenship sponsored by all Primary Chapters:
· Dental plate for client at the Canadian Mental Association so that she could apply for work
· Train fare for a father to be with his child at Sick Kids in Toronto
· Wreathes for Remembrance Day are laid at Petrolia, Corunna,
Camlachie and Sarnia cenotaphs.
· Adoption of local Parks—plant, weed, and general upkeep
· Maintain the Family Court Waiting Room
Chapters carry on exceptional work in all areas of services--
· Purchasing equipment or furnishings for community facilities (Girls’ Home, Inn of the Good Shepherd, Women’s Interval Home, Boys’ Home)
· Donating clothing and bedding
· Donations of food to food banks
· Support to all National, Provinical and Municipal Service funds
· Four shower chairs to Bluewater Health
· Furnishing the waiting room at the Pat Mailloux Cataract Clinic
2007 - With the assistance of the Imperial Oil Employees’ V.I.P. Grant, Municipal purchased a ceiling lift for heavier residents at the Medically Fragile House in Sarnia
2008 - Three Chapters have created a web site—Hon. Norman Rogers, Hon. Bryan Cathcart, and Margaret Stokes
2006-2008 Years for the “Read for Life” initiative for young children ages 6 and younger. The program is organized with the assistance of librarians and the Book Keeper who help set up the displays and have draws for books in all the libraries in Sarnia, Corunna, Bright’s Grove, Petrolia, and Point Edward.
2007- Hon. Bryan L. Cathcart celebrated its 25th anniversary. Eight charter members received 25-year pins and 50-year certificates were presented to Grace Newell and Gwen Hopper.
2007- Proceeds from the 1st Christmas Home Tour, $10,000 is donated to Pathways Health Centre for new furnishing of their addition.
2008 – Sarnia-Lambton Municipal hosted the IODE Provincial Annual Meeting at the Holiday Inn with LG Hon. David Onley present. Mrs. Onley was made an honourary IODE member. Musicians Emm Gryner and Mike Stevens entertain the members.
2008 – Sarnia-Lambton Municipal hosts the IODE Provincial Golf and Games Tournaments at Petrolia’s Heritage Heights Golf and Curling Club.
2008- Proceeds from the 2nd Annual Christmas Home Tour, $7,000 is donated to the Inn of the Good Shepherd and Rebound Youth Education Centre
2009- St Clair chapter disbands. It was chartered in 1915. Several members join other existing chapters.
2009- The 3rd Annual Christmas Home Tour donated $5,000 to the St, Joseph Hospice for a gazebo and BBQ
2010 – Hon. Norman Rogers celebrates 60 years and disbands. It donates $5,000 to the new Art Gallery in Sarnia.
2010 - Proceeds from the 4th Christmas Home Tour, $6,000 is donated to the Women’s Interval Home.
2011 – Hon. Norman Rogers Chapter finds that it must return its charter.
2011- Proceeds from the 5th Christmas Home Tour, $5,500 is donated to the Sarnia Police department for a new ATV trailer and to Community Emergency Response Volunteer organization for supplies. This was needed after the closure of the Hwy 402 in last year’s blizzard.
2012 – Hon. Bryan L. Cathcart Chapter hands in its charter after 40 years of service.
2012 – IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal has its own website in time for the Christmas Home Tour.
2012- Proceeds from the 6th Christmas Home Tour, $6,000 is donated to the Sarnia Sexual Assault Survivors’ Program for Educational Equipment.
2013- IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal celebrates 75 years. To celebrate 750 tree seedlings are given to the public
Proceeds from the 7th Christmas Home Tour are donated.
2017- After hosting the Christmas Home Tour for 10 years, IODE co-hosts with the Rotary After Hours Club. Donation is made to Lambton Elderly Outreach to support the purchase of a van.
2018- celebrating 80 years IODE Sarnia Lambton Municipal Chapter
donates a bench to Sarnia Veterans Park. Eight $1000 education bursaries are donated as an anniversary gift. IODE Sarnia Chapters support Fiery Faces Halloween Activities held at DeGroots Nursery.
2020- IODE Sarnia-Lambton Municipal revises its education awards and donates $10,000 annually for students in Sarnia-Lambton.